The OVO Group’s purpose is to drive progress towards net zero carbon living. To reach plan zero, we need everyone to come together – not just as customers buying energy, but as members with a common goal. As part of this ambitious plan, our goal is to become the ‘Leading Employer in the UK’ by 2030. If you think you could be the talent we’re looking for, then come and join the adventure!
Where in the world of OVO will I be working?
You will be working within OVO Retail, playing a crucial role in helping OVO become the number one trusted energy brand. You will be part of the Value (Reads and Estimation) team within Energy Operations. We are accountable for delivery and facilitating improved value through Meter Reading & estimation services. The value is both for members/customers by increasing the volume of reads, timing of reads plus ensuring as accurate as possible billing and estimation, and to ensure consumption assurance for working capital, financial controls and debt management.
Operating in a small team reporting to and working closely with the Head of Value (Reads and Estimation), the role holder will have the opportunity to lead on the analysis of meter reading journeys and performance across a number of areas, suggesting and delivering insight to enable us to make better decisions and inform strategies through data.
This is a newly established team that seeks to use modern analytic and data engineering tools, combined with a deep understanding of the value journey for reads and estimation to solve critical problems throughout the business. We aim to use a wide range of tools including SQL (Big query), Python, Git and BI software (Tableau/PowerBI/Google Data studio). In the short term a considerable amount of reporting/analysis will be via Google sheets and excel, however technical development is a key focus within the team and we are always seeking to learn and implement the latest tools and standard methodologies, as well as upskilling team members. There is an excellent community of practice for analysts within OVO and the role holder will have the ability to learn and share learning with peers.
What will I be doing?
Data is the foundation of everything we do, and to deliver our vision we need curious, tenacious people who can turn this data into strategy and actions with their expertise. Your primary responsibility will be to develop and monitor performance of the end to end meter reading journey and provide insight to inform strategic approaches to meter reading approaches.
This Senior Analyst role is new within the business and would suit somebody who is great at producing robust, insightful data analysis to drive operational and strategic conversations. You will work in a small focused team, all of whom will be focused on driving value through reads for OVO and it’s members, you will also have the opportunity to work collaboratively with other business areas on data and performance measures as well as having ownership of processes and delivering analysis independently.
Within Value (Read and Estimation) you’ll get the opportunity to work on problems such as:
- Building performance dashboards, and data models of varying complexity to drive read strategies, facilitating improved value through Meter Reading & estimation service and improving customer satisfaction.
- Utilise data tools and programming languages (SQL, Python, Github) to both carry out analysis and develop more sophisticated models. Through a good understanding of engineering principles, design, productionise and test these models.
- Making well thought through data based recommendations on strategy.
- Developing a deep understanding of how end to end read and estimation systems work and where appropriate designing controls (input, process, output).
- Ensure our processes have comprehensive and automated controls, testing and validation.
- Data storytelling; defining metrics and building dashboards to support performance analysis, strategic decision making and product development.
- Proactively mining data across the business to find opportunities to improve our approaches and enrich the quality of our reporting.
- Using your insight to tell a story with the data and support in strategic decision making.
- Presenting your findings back across to senior partners in the business with confidence.
- Forging positive working relationships with teams across OVO to ensure our insight has the greatest impact.
- Promoting ethical methodologies across how all data is used and processed, always ensuring compliance and security is placed first.
Is this the job for me?
We’re looking for Senior Data Analyst with a strong mathematical or analytical background who is confident managing and manipulating large amounts of data, and happy driving their own analysis based on findings; ideally you’ll be educated in a STEM subject, to a degree level would be a plus!
Life at OVO is pretty fast-paced so you’re happy working in a dynamic high growth business. You’re confident working in a constantly evolving environment and are confident proposing, justifying, initiating and implementing change.
You’ll be a great teammate – an open communicator and collaborator with strong presentation and communication skills who’s able to articulate results clearly and concisely to senior colleagues. You’re transparent with work that makes things simple for the wider team and are passionate about helping OVO achieve Plan Zero.
Ideally you will have:
- Ability to take ownership of projects to build complex new models.
- Ability to simplify the complex to tell a story.
- Experience in core analysis technologies, ideally excellent SQL skills and programming with Python or similar.
- Proven high attention to detail.
- Drive to learn and develop new skills to suit the work.
- A creative approach – you’re a problem solver who thrives off direct responsibility and delivering value.
- An interest in the workings of an energy company
- Experience producing visualisations and reporting (e.g using BI tools)
- Comfortable writing repeatable code, using Git and documenting processes
- Energy industry and/or billing / read analysis knowledge is a plus.