At SGN, we strive to sustain our world through managing the network that distributes natural and green gas across the south of England and Scotland. We have an important responsibility to keep the gas flowing to 5.9 million homes and businesses. Your work directly impacts SGNs commitments to keeping our customers’ homes and businesses safe. We’re on a journey to transform the future of gas and we think outside the box – futuristic technologies and robotics are leading our innovation. Keeping our customers safe and warm is what we do but beyond that, we want to make the world a better place, which is why we’re passionate about helping in our communities, reducing our carbon footprint and driving innovation in our industry.
We are looking for a Data Engineer to join our Data & Analytics team to help us develop and maintain our Analytics Data Platform (ADaPt). The platform is operational and already contains several key business datasets supporting a range of analytics products, but we are now looking to build on this foundation to evolve the capability for the wider business through an exciting 5-year roadmap.
In this role you will help to develop and maintain data pipelines and data products in support of Data Analytics use cases. You will play an active role throughout the entire development and delivery project lifecycle as well as the ongoing support.
We are looking for someone who is passionate about data and technology solutions, driven to learn about them and keep up with market evolution. You will bring your enthusiasm about all things data, have strong problem-solving skills and be tech savvy.
Key responsibilities will include;
- Supporting and maintaining ADaPt and the data pipelines and products supporting our Data Analytics products.
- Developing new and refine the existing ingestion patterns, ETL/ELT data pipelines and data products to evolve our current Data and Analytics services.
- Supporting the full project lifecycle for projects you work on including but not limited to: requirements gathering, design approvals, development, testing, release.
- Supporting the full product lifecycle for our data pipelines and data products including the backlog of continuous improvement.
- Supporting delivery of proof of technology (PoT) projects to evaluate new features and capabilities for the platform
- Ensuring there is clear and accurate documentation for each of the projects and products that you work on and keeping all the documentation up to date.
- Establishing and maintaining productive cross-functional relationships with a network of IT delivery teams, business stakeholders and external suppliers.
- Supporting the team to drive self-serve adoption of our products and services.
This role will offer plenty of genuine learning and development opportunities, as well as a competitive salary with company benefits including retail & leisure discounts, HolidayPlus & Cycle2work schemes, gym & mobile discounts, a pension scheme, and more. Fostering a diverse and inclusive culture is something we pride ourselves on at SGN. We want our workplace to be an innovative and inclusive place to work, where every single person feels empowered to achieve professional success.
WHAT YOU’LL BRING
Essential Skills & Expertise:
- Degree level education in a relevant subject (e.g. data science, mathematics, statistics, computer science) or demonstrable and relevant work experience to that level.
- Proficiency in both Python and SQL programming languages is an absolute must for this role, PySpark experience would be a plus.
- Demonstrable experience of the following:
- Software Development Life Cycle (SLDC) in code development including using the tools and techniques appropriate to each phase of delivery.
- Project delivery methodologies such as Waterfall or Agile
- Building data pipelines using a range of cloud-based technologies including data warehouse and data lake architectures.
- Working on projects with diverse and complex data sets and all data types
- Deploying solutions to Amazon Web Services (AWS) and working with a range of AWS products.
Desirable Skills & Expertise:
- ETL code management (CICD technologies and processes) and code deployment best practises (unit testing, quality assurance and peer review)
- Data lifecycle Management (DLM) techniques
- Working in the Utilities sector
- Working in a Data and/or Analytics team.
- Working with Artificial Intelligence (AI), Machine Learning (ML) and Deep Learning (DL) technologies.
- Relevant AWS certification – e.g. Data Analytics, DevOps, Solution design